Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fun Fact Friday! Or: My Not So Secret Shame...

I love terrible shows. I love them. Shut up! I love them! And I don't mean I love them, but no-one else knows - I mean EVERYONE KNOWS. I fly my lame nerd flag proudly.


You don't believe me? You think I'm exaggerating?


I LOVE BIKER MICE FROM MARS. It was a show from the 90's based on a comic book about 3 anthropomorphized mice from mars with antenna that rode motorcycles, drank root beer, and lived in Wrigley Field's scoreboard and they fought fish monster aliens named after smelly cheeses. I had some of the toys. My sister just got me a lamp with one of the characters for a base and not only do I love it, I am trying to hunt down a shade. I'm still searching for the full series on DVD or VHS (seriously - I'd cut a bitch for it).


Howard the Duck has a permanent place of honor on my movie shelves. I GODDAMN LOVE THAT DUCK. I still laugh my ass off through the whole thing, and sing the Howard the Duck theme at every given opportunity (to my husband's dismay).


One of my favorite book series is called My Life As A Redneck Zombie, and yes, it's as bad as you think. And it's DELIGHTFUL.


I play Conker's Bad Fur Day on a regular basis.


The Doom Movie. All of the Terminators. Don't even give me that look.


BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD DO AMERICA.


And you know what? Loving all these admittedly terrible movies/books/games is liberating. Because I really don't care what everyone else thinks - they make me laugh, or cheer at explosions, or giggle at inappropriate wording, and it's great! I love them, and because of that, I don't take life too seriously, or go around sticking my nose in the air, or even freak out over my mistakes - because someone loved these characters enough to put them out there for me to find.


You may start out great, you may have to put in a lot of effort to achieve greatness, but don't ever feel embarrassed for loving something other people think is dumb. After all, if George Lucas can produce Howard the Duck, anything is possible.


(And for reals - let me know about those Biker Mice DVDs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment